Tuesday, June 29, 2010

F is for Friendship

Recent events have caused me to realize what a blessing it is to have people in your life that care about you. This seems like a no-brainer, but I guess sometimes it takes some kind of chaotic event to bring this truth to light. While it is pretty sad that sometimes it takes something unfortunate to happen for you to realize the good stuff in life, I am glad to have recognized the blessing of friends.

This past week I once again faced the all to familiar situation of my car breaking down. This time on I-45 during rush hour with a car-full of Jr. High girls... definitely a memorable experience to say the least... But joking aside I was extremely blessed to coast off the highway and into a parking lot without being hit or having to push my vehicle any distance at all.

But the avoidance of death was not the only blessing I would receive that day or the days to follow. For I found myself surrounded by people who care about me. Not just people who take interest in my well-being by asking me how the car is, or if it is fixed yet, or being willing to listen to the incredibly long story attached to the experience; but people who take interest in my well-being by actively involving themselves to ensure my well-being...if that makes sense. Over the past few days I have witnessed several people who have dropped everything to help me out. (They may not have dropped everything, but it at least appeared that they had, and that is the most important part) It is not that I am surprised people actually do this for others, and it is not that I have never experienced such kindness before; I am simply thankful that I have friends. I am also blow away by the impact people have on each other's lives, and I don't know what life would be like if I tried to live it by myself, or can't imagine why I ever try to anyway.

I think I try because a lot of heroes try, and since I want to be a hero, it makes logical sense to try; try and make it on my own that is.
  1. Superman: does everything by himself. But who wouldn't if they were invincible and super strong or super fast or whatever.
  2. Batman: Kind of a loner
  3. John Wayne: A man's man. Doesn't need anybody. Pretty sure that guy could tackle the west by himself
  4. Lone Ranger: sure there is Tonto, but I think the name speaks for itself
  5. James Bond: Has really cool stuff, saves the world, and gets the girl usually all by himself.
  6. Indiana Jones: he does have a posse, but he is the one doing all the work
  7. Any character Clint Eastwood has ever played: From The Man with No Name to Walt Kowalski in Gran Torino, Clint makes it clear to everyone that he doesn't need anybody.

The list could go on and on, but I think this list suffices for the point.

Basically we have this idea thrown at us all the time that friends are great, but really we could make it without them and that ultimately you can't trust them anyway.

I mean people can be a handful. They really do get on your nerves sometimes. Dealing with people and relationships gets messy and painful at times. It can seem easier to just go it alone. Sometimes it seems best to just pull yourself up by your bootstraps. Having to depend on people seems like weakness.

But what if it isn't weakness. What if our dependence on each other isn't a sign of failure or inadequacy, but rather a sign that we are truly human? When you are on the side of the road with everywhere to go and no way to get there, going it alone doesn't seem so great. In fact needing other people, especially people with cars, sounds pretty darn good.

But what about when things are going really well? It is a little harder to keep dependence in mind when things are going well without others. Who needs people when you have everything under control or going your way. Who needs other people? The people who don't have anything under control or have anything going their way. That is who needs other people. If you don't need anyone, somebody probably could use you in their life. Who knows maybe you will have a break down some day.

I am just really thankful that there have always been people placed in my life that care about me and help me out. I'm glad to know the meaning of kindness, compassion, friendship, and every other sentimental word you could think of by watching the example of outstanding selfless people. I want to give a shout out to everyone who has been so gracious to me through all this car stuff, even if they never read this blog, they inspired the writing of it. I have definitely been blessed and wish to share that with others, because I need them way more than they need me.

No comments:

Post a Comment